• Multiple color formats for display or print
• Fixed or floating point high dynamic range image encoding
• Lossless or high quality lossy compression
• Extremely efficient decoding for multiple resolutions and sub-regions
• Minimal overhead for format conversion or transformations during decode
HD Photo is the new name for Windows Media Photo. Both names refer to the exact same file format. The Windows Media Photo name is still used to describe the implementation of HD Photo in Microsoft Windows products.
HD Photo is used in XML Paper Specification (XPS) to delivers a lightweight, high performance algorithm with a small memory footprint that enables practical, in-device encoding and decoding. It delivers compression quality comparable with JPEG-2000 and more than twice the quality of JPEG.
Most technologies in the JPEG XR Standard are based on the HD Photo file format. The JPEG XR Standard is also known as the ISO/IEC Standard 29199-2 and as the ITU-T Recommendation T.832.
This is the released 1.0 version of the device porting kit, required for implementing compatible HD Photo codecs for XPS products. This release of the HD Photo DPK is fully compatible with the version of HD Photo (Windows Media Photo) shipping with Windows Vista, Windows Image Component (WIC) and .NET Framework 3.0.
The official JPEG XR reference codec software can be downloaded from the ITU-T at http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-T.835.