The primary purpose of the IIS Smooth Streaming Format SDK is to enable developers to create applications that can generate compliant Smooth Streaming formatted fragmented-MP4 files for use in video-on-demand and live streaming scenarios. In addition, the SDK can be used in to encrypt content using standard AES encryption as required by the PIFF specification (this release of the SDK currently only supports the PlayReady specific protection headers).
It is expected that the encoding functionality is done externally from the SDK. Encoding for VC-1 can be accomplished by using the Microsoft VC-1 Encoder SDK – Professional.
The components of the SDK include:
- A static-linked packaging library ssfsdk.lib, along with appropriate header files, that delivers f-MP4 wrapping capability to an application for use with the following video and audio codec combinations:
- Closed GOP encoded VC-1 with Elementary Stream Sequence Headers and WMA Pro, or WMA audio
- H.264 (avc1) and AAC-LC audio
- Sample source code for a basic on-demand muxing application.
- Link to online MSDN documentation.
The key features of this Beta 1 release of the Smooth Streaming Format SDK are:
- Support for Protected Interoperable File Format (PIFF) compliant fragmented-MP4 file output.
- Support for ISO Base Media (ISO/IEC 14496-12:2008) spec compliance.
- Support for muxing live and on-demand content.
- Support for appropriate header boxes and formatting required for live streaming using IIS Media Services.
- Support for AES-CTR encryption of VC-1 encoded content for use with PlayReady licensing servers and Silverlight 3.0 or higher.
- Support for writing out a compliant server manifest files.
- Support for writing out a compliant client manifest files.