- Unified tools and processes, including a set of guidance, for deploying desktops and servers in a common deployment console.
- Reduced deployment time and standardized desktop and server images, along with improved security and ongoing configuration management.
- Fully automated Zero Touch Installation deployments by utilizing System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 2 and Windows deployment tools. For those without a System Center Configuration Manager 2007 infrastructure, MDT uses Windows deployment tools for Lite Touch Installation deployments.
Some of the key changes in MDT 2010 Update 1 are:
- Comprehensive tools and guidance to efficiently manage large-scale deployments of Microsoft Office 2010.
- A new User-Driven Installation (UDI) deployment method that utilizes System Center Configuration Manager. UDI lets end users initiate and customize an OS deployment on their PCs—via an easy-to-use wizard.
- Automatically detects the true supported platforms for drivers, reducing deployment issues.
Choosing the Right Version
MDT is available for x86 and x64 platforms. Select the version that corresponds with your host hardware type. Both versions of MDT 2010 Update 1 support deployment of x86 and x64 Windows operating systems.
The What’s New in MDT 2010 update 1 guide and Release Notes are available as separate downloads on this page for those who want to quickly evaluate MDT 2010 Update 1. The full package of guidance is available in .chm format as part of the toolkit. For those who want it in Word format, a separate download is available in the Files in this Download list.
Send questions or feedback about MDT 2010 Update 1 directly to us at SATfdbk@microsoft.com.